Monday 29 January 2007

Every picture tells a story but sometimes the story is similar from picture to picture

Get the picture? Right, let's go.
This was last Monday. Or was it Tuesday. Anyway, the water over the rail covers a footpath. I live in sight of the Thames Barrier. The wrong side of the Thames Barrier. The high tide level was high anyway but the whole of the barrier was up. Now, call me thick if you like but this surely means that the tide level down 'ere in old Woolwich Town was even higher as a result. I'm in one of the thin white buildings on the left here, sixth floor, don't panic the water wasn't that high. What do you mean you weren't panicking? What do you mean why are talking to yourself? What do you mean... enough already.

The sign here being obscured by the flash gives out details of how to contact the coastguard. Previously thought this was a redundant sign but if the tides keep rising then I may need them (or a small boat of my own) if I want to walk along the path there. The path that leads to Thamesmead. I appear to be able to hear the drumming of fingers on tables.

Or if I can't find a boat then I could always find an alternative means of transportation...
(Warning, you may need to tilt your head to view this picture properly. Grrrr, grrrrrrrrr, hrumph)

4 comments:

_d_h_m_ said...

Impressive pics!
Is that the first time you have seen the paths flooded since you have lived there?

ascoey said...

It's got close to "flooding" once or twice but I've been here for around 19-20 months and this is easily the worst I've seen it. Can only be because they raised the Barrier.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Andrew. I just found your shots linked from another website.

Would you allow me to post your photos - but clearly marking your weblink to them on Flickr??

I am compiling photos of West Thamesmead and the Thames Gateway - both the good and bad sides. I would love to have your shots sharing the space as they give a good indicator of the vulnerability of the Thames Gateway to flooding.

ascoey said...

Seems like an excellent idea. We're relatively safe here but a few hundred metres up the road the bank in natural and sloping so if there ever if a storm surge (!) who knows what will happen.
If we could get a few multinational companies to invest this side of the Thames Barrier the authorities may decide to do something here too.